Payment Website Design & Build
An independent appeals processing service for a penalty or unpaid fare notice. ITAL group developed the Appeals Service in response to a growing requirement from customers, passenger groups and government officials, for an independent, arms-length service to deal with customer appeals.
The Appeals Service (AS) established in 2006, is created to assist people who while travelling on public transport are issued with either a Penalty Fare or Unpaid Fare Notice and who wish to appeal against the issue. Penalty Fare Notices and Unpaid Fare Notices may be issued for a variety of reasons, and people have the right to appeal against these, within a specified time, if they believe they were issued incorrectly or unfairly. AS offers a genuinely independent and impartial Appeal Service, following a specific appeals process, assessed by the Independent Appeals Panel.
Since 2003 the Appeals Service has offered a remote appeals processing service that today:
- Serves ten rail companies and Transport for London’s rail and bus services
- The Service handles over 650 appeals per week
- The dedicated Appeals Service website gives customers who wish to appeal against the issuing of a penalty full visibility and control over the process; from payment of fines, uploading of documents to submission and tracking of the appeal.
- The Appeals Service Impartially assessing appeals on behalf of some of the major Train Operating Companies in the UK including – Arriva Trains Wales, C2C, Greater Anglia, Grand Central, Northern, London Overground, London Underground, London Buses, TFL Rail, DLR, GWR, Cross Country, Chiltern Railways and Virgin Trains.
Refreshed Identity, Brand & Website design and Build
The existing Independent Appeals website was outdated, and unintuitive to use for customers and required a full overhaul of the visual design and review of the process and steps to make an appeal.
A new brand website that is accessible, simple and clean was required. Alongside a website and portal that had a simple to use, intuitive design and UI to allow a quick and straightforward appeal process to the public. The new design was to reflect the impartiality of the company and guide the user to the simple process of appeal submission online while informing them along the way.
- Build a custom front-end submission website that re-thinks the appeal process
- Working with the appeals team to simplify the process for appealing
- Create an Identity and brand that is impartial in its design
- New branding, identity and standards
- Working with TfL, Cross Country and other train networks to work with their individual appeal process handling requirements.
- Built to high accessibility standards
- Responsive website built on Twitter Bootstrap
- Custom photography working with photographer
- This in-depth project involved looking at the broader goals of the appeals service with the aim to lead the market and simplify the process of appeals where this varied widely across the different train operators such a: TfL Virgin Trains, Chiltern, and Great Western all having varying notices and appeal forms.
- A clear and easy step by step online process that could be followed on varying devices with ease and simplicity involved extensive research and working closely with the appeals team to understand issues and problems operators
- Simple to use website that has seen a significant increase in the online appeals, and decreases in telephone and written appeals improving turnover and freeing up operators.
- A clean and straightforward customer facing design, that is easy to understand, informative, and reflects the impartial status of the company.
- The work with appeals service has led to further projects in design and branding with the other companies in the wider company group.
- A long-standing working relationship, allows us to advise and consult with the Appeals Service, and improve the website handling process going forwards.